Rochester NY Real Estate Guide | Rochester Real Estate Information
The following information about the Rochester NY area and Real Estate market is by top Rochester, NY Realtors, Keith Hiscock & Kyle Hiscock of Nothnagle Realtors. If you have any questions on anything to do with Rochester and specifically Rochester NY Real Estate, please get in touch as we have been selling real estate in the City for over 30 years. There are very few Realtors in Rochester that have the track record of being top producing real estate agents, year after year.
If you’re thinking of moving to Rochester NY, there are many reasons why it is a great place to live, work, and play. In fact, as native Rochesterians, we urge you to learn why you’ll love your move to Rochester, you won’t be disappointed!
Rochester is the largest City in Monroe County and is located very conveniently in the middle of Monroe County! To the east you will find the Town of Irondequoit NY, to the west you will find the towns of Greece & Gates, and to the south are the Town of Henrietta and the Town of Brighton NY!
According to the United States Census Bureau, Rochester has a total area of 37.1 square miles. The City of Rochester is frequently referred to as the “Flour City,” the “Flower City,” and most recently the Photonics Capital of the world.
What’s The Rochester NY Real Estate Market Like?
The Rochester real estate market is one where you will find great diversity and opportunity. There are many affluent neighborhoods and a variety of home value throughout Rochester. Below you will find some real estate information on many of the neighborhoods located within the City of Rochester NY.
The Browncroft neighborhood is one of the most popular Rochester NY real estate areas. The Browncroft area is located to the east of the City center. Within the Browncroft neighborhood, you will find some stunning homes for sale, many of which have beautiful Stucco exteriors. Some of the popular streets where you will find some great homes for sale in the Browncroft neighborhood include Windemere Road, Corwin Road, Beresford Road, and Dorchester Road.
The average home value in the Browncroft neighborhood is around $150,000. You will also find some homes for sale in the Browncroft area for upwards of $250,000 – $350,000. One of the great benefits to living in the Browncroft neighborhood is the proximity to not only many shops and restaurants, but also to the major highways, HWY 590 & HWY 490.
The 14621 Community is one of the most affordable and popular real estate neighborhoods within the City of Rochester. The 14621 Community is situated to the north of the City center and to the south of the Town of Irondequoit NY. In the 14621 Community you will find many ranch and cape cod style homes at affordable prices.
The average home value in the 14621 Community is between $40,000 – $50,000 which make it a very affordable area to live. The 14621 Community is located close to RTE 104 and also Rochester General Hospital.
The 19th Ward
The 19th Ward is located to the southwest of City Center and is home to many classic homes and history. This neighborhood, which used to be referred to as Castle Town, is a popular place for college student housing. This is because the 19th Ward is located very close to the University of Rochester and not to far from the Rochester Institute of Technology.
Many of the homes for sale in the 19th Ward still have many of the “classic” characteristics from the 19th century including gumwood trim, leaded glass, hardwood floors, and fireplaces. The average home value in the 19th Ward ranges between $60,000 – $70,000. You will find homes value in the 19th Ward over $100,000 for some properties, many of which are multi-family homes or large single family homes.
The Charlotte (Shar-LOT) neighborhood is another great real estate community in Rochester NY. One of the reasons why many people choose to buy homes in the Charlotte area is due to the proximity to Lake Ontario. The Charlotte neighborhood is located to the northwest of City center and to the south of the shores of Lake Ontario. On the shores of Lake Ontario you will find Charlotte Beach which is a very popular summer destination for local Rochesterians. There are many restaurants, bars, and shops located near Charlotte Beach and also is home to many summer festivals and concerts.
The average home value in the Charlotte neighborhood ranges between $70,000 – $90,000. There are a few exceptions to this rule as some of the homes for sale in the Charlotte neighborhood are waterfront properties. Selling a waterfront property in the Charlotte neighborhood located on Beach Avenue can yield a homeowner $400,000 or more! Rochester real estate would not be the same without the uniqueness of the Charlotte neighborhood as it is the only area within City borders that touches Lake Ontario!
The Corn Hill area is one of the most historic in Rochester NY. It is also a center for art and annually is the host to the Corn Hill Art Festival, which is a two-day event in July where some of the best art in Rochester is displayed. The Corn Hill area is situated along the western shores of the Genessee River. Corn Hill is also home to many popular restaurants and bars where you can enjoy dinner or drinks while over looking the City and the Genessee River!
Real estate in the Corn Hill area generally sells extremely quickly. In fact, in the past 12 months there have only been a total of 12 homes sold. The low inventory in Corn Hill can make it a tough area to find homes for sale. The average home value in the Corn Hill area generally range between $125,000 – $150,000. Of course there are exceptions and you can find homes for sale in Corn Hill for $200,000 – $300,000! Similar to the 19th Ward, many of the homes in Corn Hill have “Classic” characteristics that you cannot find in newly built homes.
The Upper Monroe neighborhood is one of the closest in proximity to City Center. Upper Monroe is located only one and a half miles from Downtown Rochester. Upper Monroe only encompasses 17 streets but located near Cobbs Hill as well as Highland Park, which is home to the annual Lilac Festival.
Similar to the Corn Hill area, real estate in the Upper Monroe neighborhood is often hard to come by. In the past 12 months only 13 single family homes have sold, which makes owning a property in Upper Monroe highly desired! The average home value in the Upper Monroe neighborhood generally range between $150,000 – $175,000.
The East End area is one of the hottest real estate areas in the City of Rochester. The East End neighborhood is where you will find the Eastman Theatre, The Rochester Philharmonic, and the nationally known, Eastman School of Music. In addition to these great establishments, The East End area is home to the most popular nightlife scene in Rochester, East Avenue and Alexander Street. This area is home to bars and nightclubs such as Murphy’s Law, One Restaurant and Lounge, and Vinyl.
The East End area, also referred to as the East Avenue neighborhood, also has a strong demand for homes. In the past 12 months, only 11 homes have sold in the East Avenue neighborhood.
The East End area is also home to some of the top luxury homes in Rochester NY. Homeowners who are selling a luxury home in Rochester in the East End area can expect to sell for more than $500,000. Occasionally you will find a million dollar home for sale in the East End! The average home value in the East End area ranges between $300,000 – $400,000. Due to the shortage of homes for sale in the East End, buying a home in this area can be tricky, but well worth it!
Another neighborhood located to the Northwest of City center is the Maplewood neighborhood. The Maplewood neighborhood is located just to the south of the Eastman Business Park, which for years was home to Kodak. The Maplewood neighborhood also has a historic district which has been listed by the National Register of Historic Places in the past. Similar to the 19th Ward and Corn Hill neighborhoods, the Maplewood neighborhood is loaded with homes that have many “classic” characteristics.
The Maplewood neighborhood is one of the fastest paced neighborhoods in Rochester NY for real estate. In the past 12 months, over 100 homes have been sold in the Maplewood neighborhood. The average home value in the Maplewood neighborhood generally range between $55,000 – $70,000. In the Maplewood neighborhood you will also find homes for sale for over $150,000 located on a few of the most popular streets, which include, Seneca Parkway, Alameda Street, and Maplewood Avenue.
Finding homes for sale in the Maplewood neighborhood is not as difficult as other areas of Rochester NY and the afforable housing prices make it a great place to call home!
North Winton Village
Bordering the Town of Irondequoit, the North Winton Village area is one of the top real estate areas in Rochester NY. Living in the North Winton Village area feels like living in Irondequoit, but while paying lower City taxes! The North Winton Village area also has a very active neighborhood association. The North Winton Village area is another popular area for nightlife for young professionals in Rochester. This area is home to popular bars and restaurants such as The Winfield and The Wintonaire.
Another fast moving real estate areas of Rochester NY is the North Winton Village area. In the past 12 months, like Maplewood, there have been over 100 homes sold in North Winton Village. The average home value in North Winton Village exceed $100,000. There are still ample opportunities to find homes for sale in North Winton Village for under $100,000 which make it another affordable real estate community in Rochester NY.
Park Avenue Neighborhood
Perhaps the most desired neighborhood in Rochester NY for real estate is Park Avenue. The Park Avenue neighborhood is home to tons of restaurants, museums, and shops which make it a very popular real estate community in Rochester NY. Some of the top destinations include Village Gate, School of the Arts, The George Eastman House, and Rochester Museum and Science Center.
The Park Ave neighborhood is another real estate market in Rochester NY that often features a low number of homes for sale. In the past 12 months only 32 single family homes have sold in the Park Avenue neighborhood. The average home value of homes in the Park Ave neighborhood generally hover around $250,000 for a single family home. The Park Avenue neighborhood is also a very common place to find multi-family homes which are generally worth much more than a single family home in the Park Avenue area.
Finding homes for sale in the Park Avenue area can be difficult, however, there is a good chance that homes will continue to appreciate in this area of Rochester NY.
The South Wedge area in Rochester NY is a popular area for young professionals, similar to the North Winton Village area. The South Wedge is located to the south of City center and like the Maplewood neighborhood has been recognized by the National Register of Historic Places in the past.
The South Wedge area is another highly sought after part of Rochester NY for home buyers. In the past year, only 48 homes have sold in the South Wedge area. The average home value in the South Wedge generally fall between $100,000 – $125,000. Rochester NY residents love living in the South Wedge because of it’s proximity to City center but also the up and coming nightlife that can be found in the South Wedge.
Housing & Population Statistics
As of 2014, Rochester’s population was 210,967 people. Since 2000, Rochester has had a decrease in population of 3.84 percent. There are 5,896 people per square mile (population density).
The median age for Rochester is 31.1. 30.96% of people are married and 11.06% are divorced. The average household size is 2.33 people.
Climate For Rochester NY
The City of Rochester NY gets around 32 inches of rain and 86 inches of snowfall per year. The number of days with any measurable precipitation is around 161 per year. On average, there are 165 sunny days per year with July highs around 82 and January lows around 18.
Rochester’s unemployment rate is 7.40% with recent job growth at -0.17%. Future job growth over the next ten years is predicted to be 32.30%. The sales tax rate is 8.0% and income tax is 6.45%. Income per capita in Rochester is $18,757, which includes all adults and children. The median household income is $30,708.
Population By Occupation
- Sales, Office, and Administrative Support – 22.96%
- Production, Transportation, and Material Moving – 13.44%
- Management, Business, and Finances – 9.10%
- Food Preparation & Service – 7.54%
- Education & Library – 6.75%
Rochester, NY Public Schools
The City of Rochester, NY schools spend $18,976 per student. There are 14 students per teacher, 530 students per librarian, and 393 students per counselor. The schools located within the City of Rochester, NY include:
- Martin B. Anderson School 1 (PreK-6), 85 Hillside Ave., Rochester 14610
- Clara Barton School No. 2 (PreK-6), 190 Reynolds St., Rochester 14608
- Nathaniel Rochester Community School No. 3 (K-8), 85 Adams St., Rochester 14608
- George Mather Forbes School No. 4 (K-8), 198 Dr. Samuel McCree Way, Rochester 14611
- John Williams School No. 5 (PreK-8), 555 N Plymouth Avenue, Rochester 14608
- Virgil I. Grissom School No. 7 (PreK-6), 31 Bryan St., Rochester 14613
- Roberto Clemente School No. 8 (PreK-8), 1180 St. Paul St., Rochester 14621
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. School No. 9 (PreK-6), 485 Clinton Ave. N., Rochester 14605
- Dr. Walter Cooper Academy School No. 10 (PreK-6) 353 Congress Ave., Rochester 14619
- James P.B. Duffy School No. 12 (K-6) *1 Edgerton Park, Rochester 14608
- The Children’s School of Rochester No. 15 (K-6), *595 Upper Falls Blvd., Rochester
- John Walton Spencer School No. 16 (PreK-8), 625 Scio St., Rochester 14605
- Enrico Fermi School No. 17 (PreK-8), 158 Orchard St., Rochester 14611
- Dr. Charles T. Lunsford School No. 19 (PreK-8), 465 Seward St., Rochester 14608
- Henry Lomb School No. 20 (PreK-6) 54 Oakman St., Rochester 14605
- Abraham Lincoln School No. 22 (PreK-6) 950 Norton St., Rochester 14621
- Francis Parker School No. 23 (PreK-6), 170 Barrington St., Rochester 14607
- Nathaniel Hawthorne School No. 25 (PreK-6), 965 Goodman St. N., Rochester 14609
- Henry Hudson School No. 28 (K-8), 450 Humboldt Street, Rochester 14610
- Adlai E. Stevenson School No. 29 (PreK-6), 88 Kirkland Rd., Rochester 14611
- John James Audubon School No. 33 (PreK-6), 500 Webster Ave., Rochester 14609
- Dr. Louis A. Cerulli School No. 34 (PreK-6), 530 Lexington Ave., Rochester 14613
- Pinnacle School No. 35 (K-6), 194 Field St., Rochester 14620
- Andrew J. Townson School No. 39 (PreK-6 ),145 Midland Ave., Rochester 14621
- Kodak Park School No. 41 (PreK-6), 279 Ridge Rd. W., Rochester 14615
- Abelard Reynolds School No. 42 (PreK-6), 3330 Lake Ave., Rochester 14612
- Theodore Roosevelt School No. 43 (PreK-6), 1305 Lyell Ave., Rochester 14606
- Lincoln Park School No. 44 (PreK-1-6), 820 Chili Ave., Rochester 14611
- Mary McLeod Bethune School No. 45 (PreK-8), 1445 Clifford Ave., Rochester 14621
- Charles Carroll School No. 46 (PreK-6), 250 Newcastle Rd., Rochester 14610
- Helen Barrett Montgomery School No. 50 (PreK-8), 301 Seneca Ave., Rochester 14621
- Frank Fowler Dow School No. 52 (PreK-6), 100 Farmington Rd., Rochester 14609
- Montessori Academy School No. 53 (PreK-6), 625 Scio St., Rochester 14605
- The Flower City School No. 54 (K-6), 36 Otis St., Rochester 14606
- Early Childhood School of Rochester No. 57 (PreK-2), 15 Costar St., Rochester 14608
- World of Inquiry School No. 58 (K-6), 200 University Ave., Rochester 14605
- Joseph C. Wilson Foundation Academy (PreK-4, 7-8), 200 Genesee St., Rochester 14611
- East Lower School (6-8), 1801 E. Main St., Rochester 14609
- East Upper School (9-12), 1801 E. Main St., Rochester 14609
- Edison Career & Technology High School (9-12), 655 Colfax St., Rochester 14606
- Integrated Arts & Technology High School (7-12), 950 Norton St., Rochester 14621
- James Monroe High School (7-12), *180 Ridgeway, Rochester 14615
- Joseph C. Wilson Magnet High School (9-12), 501 Genesee St., Rochester 14611
- Leadership Academy for Young Men (7-12), 4115 Lake Ave., Rochester 14612
- Northeast College High School (9-12), 940 Fernwood Park, Rochester 14609
- Rochester Early College International High School (9-12), 200 Genesee St., Rochester 14611
- School of the Arts (7-12), 45 Prince St., Rochester 14607
- Vanguard Collegiate High School (9-12), 950 Norton St., Rochester 14621
- University of Rochester – Full-time enrollment: 7,898
- Saint John Fisher College – Full-time enrollment: 3,202
- Nazareth College – Full-time enrollment: 2,555
- Monroe Community College – Full-time enrollment: 12,159
- Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) – Full-time enrollment: 13,372
- SUNY College at Brockport – Full-time enrollment: 6,845
- 2 yr College Graduates – 8.99%
- 4 yr College Graduates – 14.79%
- Graduate Degrees – 7.72%
- High School Graduates – 72.64%
Hospitals/Medical Centers Nearby
- Aberdeen Square Park
- After School in the Park
- Brown Square Park
- Browncroft Rose Garden Park
- Cobbs Hill Park and Washington Grove
- Conkey Corner Park and El Camino Trail
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Park at Manhattan Square
- Durand Eastman Park and Beach
- Farmington Park
- Fourth Street and Peck Street Park
- Genesee Crossroads-Charles Carroll Park
- Genesee Gateway Park
- Genesee Riverway Trail
- Genesee Valley Park
- Highland Park
- Jones Square Park
- JR Wilson Park
- Lunsford Circle Park
- Maplewood Park and Rose Garden
- Olmsted’s Parks
- Ontario Beach Park
- Pulaski Park
- Sebastian Park
- Seneca Park
- Susan B. Anthony Square Park
- Troup Street Park
- Tryon Park West
- Turning Point Park, Trail, and Rain Garden
- Washington Square Park
Transportation and Commuting Statistics
The closet AMTRAK location is located in Downtown Rochester at 320 Central Park. Highway 490 is the major transportation method and cuts through the heart of Downtown Rochester NY. The City Center of Rochester is located roughly 5 minutes from the Greater Rochester NY International Airport.
Rochester, NY Restaurants
There are several great restaurants all around the City of Rochester NY. Here are several top Rochester NY restaurants to eat.
- Dinosaur B-B-Q
- Tony D’s
- Good Luck
- Sinbad’s Mediterranean Cuisine
- Tournedos Steakhouse at the Inn On Broadway
- Salena’s Mexican Restaurant
- City Grill
- The Gate House
- Espada Brazilian Steakhouse
Rochester NY Real Estate – Why Choose A Top Realtor In Rochester NY?
If you’re thinking about selling your home, investment property, condominium, townhouse, or other Rochester NY Real Estate, allow us to help make the sale a pleasant experience.
When interviewing the best Rochester NY Realtors there should be a number of important things you look for in the interview, including the agents past track record of success, statistical data such as list price to sale price ratios, and average days on market. In addition, you should find out what communication and marketing skills they have.
Our number one goal is to put a SOLD sign in your lawn, however, we also want to make sure you feel that the home selling process was seamless and pain free.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss why we are well respected Realtors servicing Rochester NY Real Estate owners and how our clients homes are showcased everyone online.
There are no other real estate agents in Rochester NY who are providing the level of online exposure through social media integration or SEO (search engine optimized) results. Your property will be found in all of the places that today’s buyer would be searching for Rochester NY Homes for Sale, including this website in addition to many other highly indexed websites.
In addition to the incredible online exposure your home will receive, other things that make us stand out is the use of high quality photographs, detailed property descriptions, virtual tours, Nothnagle.com exposure, as well as exposure on 100’s of other websites.
Whether you’re in the market to buy a home in Rochester, NY or sell your Rochester, NY home, let us be your guide to the real estate market as Top Rochester NY real estate agents.
A few of our accomplishments that we are proud of include:
- Nothnagle Platinum Award Recipient
- Consistently in the top 5% of Nothnagle agents
- Average over 80 transactions per year (serving all of Greater Rochester, NY, including but not limited to; Brighton NY, Irondequoit NY, Webster NY, Penfield NY, Pittsford NY)
- Over $7 Million Dollars in Closed Real Estate Volume in 2013
- Over $11 Million Dollars in Closed Real Estate Volume in 2014
- Members of the Greater Rochester Association of Realtors & the National Association of Realtors
- Consistent recipient of Sales Master awards as recognized by the Greater Rochester Association of Realtors
We have been selling homes in and around Rochester New York for over 30 years. Contact us to discuss how we can best serve your Rochester NY real estate needs!
Other Rochester NY Realtor and Real Estate Resources:
- City of Rochester Website – The official City of Rochester NY Website
Other Real Estate Guides For Greater Rochester NY Communities:
- Brighton NY Real Estate Guide
- Irondequoit New York Real Estate Information
- Henrietta NY Real Estate Guide & Community Information
- Penfield NY Realtors & Community Information
- Top Pittsford NY Real Estate Realtor Guide & Information
- Webster NY Real Estate Agents & Realtor Guide
Connect with Kyle’s Rochester NY Real Estate Agent profile on Google+.
All Rochester, NY Homes for Sale
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.